backstageadd ND

RACE

Re: RACE

Postby Happy Mom » Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:56 am

bubblyone wrote:Call me crazy, but why is the word racist involved in this conversation? A man is breaking into cars, someone calls 911, the police respond, a man is seen inside a car, the popo pull up, the police ask the person (still inside the car I presume) if is their car. The thief (let’s call it what it us...nobody has said it was his car) gets out of the car, with a purse and a knife, raises the knife, popo says stop, put the knife down, the thief does not comply, popo shoots. What is racist about this scenario? I think it is a case of right and wrong...but that’s just my interpretation I suppose.
Happy to report I have made my donation to Sgt O’Neill’s fund. Every time I hear the idiot Pete on tv, I am going to double back and make another donation.
Pete is the kid without a plan. He had no plan for the city...just ask his neighborhood. He can’t stand criticism, can’t stand free speech, is vindictive and is the most arrogant twirp this city has seen. I will grant you he speaks well, and is educated, this does not make presidential material. Voter beware.

Buttigieg rolls out Douglass Plan designed to combat systemic racism in U.S.

By Amy B. Wang The Washington Post 20 hrs ago

Election 2020 Pete Buttigieg
In this July 7, 2019, photo, Democratic presidential candidate South Bend Mayor Pete Buttigieg speaks at the 25th Essence Festival in New Orleans. Buttigieg has a message for white liberals who decry racism: “Good intentions are not going to be enough.” The Democratic presidential candidate is combating perceptions that he’s out of touch with African Americans and will struggle to win their votes. (AP Photo/Gerald Herbert)

Gerald Herbert

South Bend Mayor and Democratic presidential candidate Pete Buttigieg on Thursday rolled out an ambitious policy plan to “dismantle racist structures and systems” in the United States, proposing changes to the country’s health, education and criminal justice systems that he hopes would amount to “a comprehensive investment in the empowerment of black America.”

Dubbed the Douglass Plan, after the abolitionist and activist Frederick Douglass, the plan is similar to what Buttigieg first outlined a month ago in an op-ed for the Charleston Chronicle in South Carolina.

The fuller announcement comes as the 2020 Democratic presidential candidate continues to try to make inroads with African-American voters.

“We have lived in the shadow of systemic racism for too long,” Buttigieg said in a statement, citing a rise in white nationalism, a growing economic gap between black and white workers and worse health outcomes for African Americans in the United States. Those disparities, he added, “should make us all wonder how the richest country on Earth can allow this to happen under our noses.”

The 18-page plan includes proposals to establish health equity programs; to award a quarter of all government contracts to minority business owners; to reduce the incarceration rate by half at both the federal and state levels; and to “massively increase federal resources” for Title I schools.

Some of his proposals — such as increasing federal resources by $25 billion for historically black colleges and universities and other minority institutions; issuing new regulations to diversify the teaching profession; and setting a goal to triple the number of black entrepreneurs within a decade — are targeted specifically at minority communities.

Other aspects of the plan, such as doing away with the electoral college and replacing it with a national popular vote, are ideas Buttigieg already had been touting to general audiences on the campaign trail. Buttigieg likened the Douglass Plan in scope and ambition to “the Marshall Plan that rebuilt Europe after World War II.” :naughty: :naughty: :hand: :hand: :evil:

The plan rollout is Buttigieg’s latest effort to make his case to African-American voters, a demographic he has acknowledged he must win over after some dismal early poll numbers in South Carolina.

Those efforts were hampered last month after a white South Bend police officer fatally shot a black man, leading to protests and renewed scrutiny over Buttigieg’s mayoral record in the midsize Indiana city. The fallout from the shooting, just days before the first Democratic debate in Miami, led to Buttigieg being asked on stage why he hadn’t succeeded in increasing black representation on the South Bend police force over his two terms.

“Because I couldn’t get it done,” Buttigieg told the debate moderators soberly. “My community is in anguish . . . and I’m not allowed to take sides until the investigation comes back. The officer didn’t have his body camera on. It’s a mess. We are hurting.” :liar: :liar: :liar: :liar:

The Douglass Plan comes on the heels of Buttigieg unveiling a separate plan to encourage black entrepreneurship at the 2019 Essence Festival in New Orleans over the weekend.
https://www.southbendtribune.com/news/l ... kvLPcXHu1M
"Preserving and protecting the principles of the Constitution is the primary role of the federal government."
Happy Mom

Postby Happy Mom » Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:19 am

CNN’s Axelrod Rips Buttigieg: Blacks Doing Worse Under His Leadership
Paras Griffin/Getty Images for ESSENCE

By RYAN SAAVEDRA
@REALSAAVEDRA
July 12, 2019

CNN's David Axelrod slammed Democrat presidential candidate and current South Bend Mayor Pete Buttigieg on Friday, noting that blacks have fared worse under his leadership in South Bend.

"Axe, Pete Buttigieg says he's not interested in winning without black support," CNN's John Berman said. "The fact of the matter is he can't win without black support."

"Absolutely cannot. Absolutely cannot. African-Americans are about a quarter of the Democratic primary electorate," Axelrod responded. "Once you clear those early states of Iowa and New Hampshire, they come into play. And in South Carolina, 60 percent of the voters will be African-American. So, as a practical matter, he has to solve this problem or he's going to go back to South Bend."

"And that is a problem," Axelrod continued. "South Bend itself is a bit of a problem for him because even though he has this very far-reaching Douglass Plan to try and fight systemic racism in this country, there are troubling issues back home about police staffing, which African-Americans dropped by half under his watch, and on city contracting, where African-American — where minority businesses have done rather poorly in sharing in the business of the city, even though 40 percent of the city is black and Hispanic. These are questions that I asked him."

"We had some interesting exchanges on it. And, you know, he has to solve it," Axelrod added. "And I think his campaign knows he has to solve it, which is one reasons why he was out there with an 18-page plan yesterday to try and deal with a whole range of issues affecting the community."

Axelrod concluded by noting that people are going to look at what Buttigieg has done with the community in South Bend and that there are going to be problems when they see how he has interacted with the black community.

"And, you know, he had a series of issues. He fired a popular black police chief. It was because of an investigation. But, nonetheless, it was a controversial decision," Axelrod continued. "He tore down 1,000 abandoned homes, many of them in poor minority communities, and that was meant to remove blight. But there was quite a bit of resistance because now there are these vacant lots in the community. So, you know, there are a lot of issues that he has to confront there."

https://www.dailywire.com/news/49462/cn ... n-saavedra
"Preserving and protecting the principles of the Constitution is the primary role of the federal government."
Happy Mom

Postby Happy Mom » Sun Jul 14, 2019 1:43 pm

They are cowards hiding their faces just like the terrorist group ANTIFA

Black Lives Matter rally in South Bend calls for unity and police reform
By Victoria St. Martin South Bend Tribune 7 hrs ago

Black Lives Matter rally

Attendees at a rally organized by Black Lives Matter and BlackTavists on Saturday carry signs at the Jon R. Hunt Plaza in South Bend.

Tribune Photo/ROBERT FRANKLIN

SOUTH BEND — Local members of Black Lives Matter joined supporters and colleagues from other parts of Indiana in a downtown rally that featured calls for unity and pleas for police reform.

About 50 people gathered at the Jon R. Hunt Plaza in front of the Morris Performing Arts Center for the event, which was also hosted by a local group called BlackTavists. Organizers distributed a flyer that spelled out several demands, including financial compensation from the city for the family of Eric Logan, stronger body camera and use-of-force policies for officers, the creation of a Civilian Review Board to help with police oversight and the assignment of a special prosecutor to all investigations of possible crimes by officers.

The rally came nearly a month after the fatal shooting of Logan by South Bend officer Ryan O’Neill. Authorities have said Logan approached the officer with a raised knife and ignored multiple orders to drop it. O’Neill, investigating reports of car break-ins at the time, did not turn on his body camera prior to the incident.

Rally attendees carried “Black Lives Matters” flags and posters, as well as signs that read, “Justice for Eric Logan,” and “Do The Right Thing Pete,” referring to Mayor Pete Buttigieg.

Several African-American women spoke to the group about their personal encounters with police. Katheryn Redding, 36, noted that officers have training and programs on use of force and related issues but added, “The officers have to admit that they have a problem for these programs to be effective.”

Logan’s brother, Tyree Bonds, 52, talked about issues beyond law enforcement, arguing that long-rooted problems such as poverty and homelessness affect people of all races. And South Bend residents, he said, are desperate for new economic opportunities.

“The struggle is real,” he said. “I’ts not just one color. It’s every color.”

Common Council member Regina Williams-Preston also pointed to broader issues, finding a connection to a recent protest over conditions in immigrant detention camps and the chant of “No kids in cages.” She tied the issue to the detention of teens at the Juvenile Justice Center.

“We’ve got kids in cages right here in South Bend,” she said. “These issues are inter-connected...The fear is real.”

Nearly two dozen police cars were parked behind and on the side of the Morris during the rally, though no uniformed officers were visible near the event.

One attendee, Tonna Robinson, wore a pin that read, “Stand with Black Women.” The 38-year-old said she drove from Elkhart to South Bend to literally stand between protesters and officers during the rally.

“I’m going to use my body to shield black bodies,” said Robinson. “I do stand with black women.”

There were no confrontations for Robinson to stand between, and all remained quiet during the intimate event, which was highlighted by visits of members of Black Lives Matter organizers from Gary and Fort Wayne.

After the rally, attendees marched to the City-County Building as they chanted, “Fight back” and “No justice, no peace.”

Williams-Preston added that every protester who attended the rally was “taking a risk.”

“Everyone who stood up today will be on the news tonight,” she said. “They’re putting themselves out there to stand up for justice and that comes with a price. Maybe it’s fear of your life, feedback on your job. Maybe it’s falling out with friends and family. Anytime you stand up for justice it comes with a price.”
:liar: :liar: :liar: :naughty:

vstmartin@sbtinfo.com 574-235-6234 @VStMartin

https://www.southbendtribune.com/news/l ... vyMN89mBa4
Happy Mom

Previous

Return to Local Politics