backstageadd ND

Who to vote for????

Re: Who to vote for????

Postby bob_rx2000 » Tue Oct 27, 2015 9:34 am

It certainly sounds to me as though a specific part of one political party in the town is about to begin consuming their own members... This ought to be entertaining to watch.
Bob_Rx2000
"Because, Gentlemen, I don't trust you..." Gunning Bedford, U.S. Constitutional Convention
"First God created the idiot. That was for practice. Then he created the School Board." Mark Twain
bob_rx2000

Location: South Bend, in a subdivision scheduled for annexation

Postby Happy Mom » Wed Nov 11, 2015 8:26 am

Two candidates cleared by board
South Bend Tribune Reports

Posted: Tuesday, November 10, 2015 4:00 am | Updated: 5:52 am, Wed Nov 11, 2015.
SOUTH BEND — The St. Joseph County Election Board took no action Monday on a pair of complaints against Common Council member Henry Davis Jr. and Regina Williams-Preston.
Williams-Preston, a Democrat, last week defeated Davis, a former Democrat, for election to council in District 2.
Prior to the election, complaints were filed accusing Davis of filing a false campaign finance report and Williams-Preston of violating the city’s ethics code in regard to campaign emails.
The board determined it had no authority to rule on the complaint against Williams-Preston, who is not a city employee, County Clerk Terri Rethlake said Monday.
As for Davis, “since he filed an amended report before the complaint was filed, we treated him just like we treat everyone else who files an amended report,” Rethlake said.
Both complaints are considered resolved.

http://www.southbendtribune.com/news/el ... f30df.html
"Preserving and protecting the principles of the Constitution is the primary role of the federal government."
Happy Mom

Postby Happy Mom » Wed Nov 11, 2015 8:29 am

Regina Williams-Preston takes South Bend District 2 seat from Henry Davis Jr.
Regina Williams-Preston elected; Henry Davis Jr. is out

South Bend District 1 elects Williams-Preston; Davis is out
Regina Preston, elected to 2nd District Common Council, waves to supporters as she is greeted by a cheering crowd inside the West Side Democratic and Civic Club on Tuesday in South Bend. SBT Photo/ROBERT FRANKLIN

Posted: Wednesday, November 4, 2015 5:00 am | Updated: 5:10 am, Wed Nov 4, 2015.
By Erin Blasko South Bend Tribune

SOUTH BEND — The heat generated by the District 2 Common Council race between Henry Davis Jr. and Regina Williams-Preston quickly dissipated Tuesday as Williams-Preston cruised to victory with more than 60 percent of the vote.
A South Bend Community School Corp. employee, Preston collected 62 percent of the vote, or 933 votes, to 38 percent, or 467 votes, for Davis, a former Democrat who filed for re-election as an independent after a failed bid for the Democratic nomination for mayor.
Addressing supporters at the West Side Democratic and Civic Club, Williams-Preston, a political novice making her first run for public office, described herself first and foremost as an “activist” and “educator.”
“My campaign is about engaging everyone in making this city the best place that it can be,” she said.

“We’re about inclusion, not just diversity, but making sure everybody’s connected and everbody’s involved,” she added.
Davis, in a statement, thanked his supporters and expressed gratitude for the opportunity to serve the residents of the district.
“Tonight’s results do not alter the challenges that we continue to face in the 2nd District,” he said. “I wish Ms. Williams-Preston the best in her leadership of the … district.”
Williams-Preston acknowledged Davis’ “deep commitment” to the community.
“People know that he cares, people know that he’s been fighting for them for years,” she said. “But I think what held out is that we need to go in a different direction.”
Both candidates brought baggage to the race.
Davis was convicted of reckless driving last year after driving the wrong way on the U.S. 20 bypass and faced significant backlash for posting a crude photo to Facebook.
He currently is the subject of a libel lawsuit filed by four local police officers.
Preston, meanwhile, owes more than $60,000 in penalties and fees to the city related to the repair or demolition of 10 houses, plus another $13,000 in back taxes to the county.
The housing issue became a point of contention in the race, with Davis calling Williams-Preston a “slumlord” — a label Williams-Preston rejected as inaccurate, noting she never rented any of the properties.
Speaking as an educator, Williams-Preston compared her treatment in relation to the situation to bullying.
“And I’m not just talking about my opponent, but even in the media and the parties,” she said. “As adults, I think we could have done a better job … modeling for young people how to be, how to live in peace.”
Looking ahead, both candidates face possible campaign violations.
Davis is accused of filing a false campaign finance report, while Williams-Preston is accused of sending campaign e-mails to city employees in violation of the city’s ethics code, to which she is not technically subject.
The Election Board will consider both issues next week.
In a related matter, Code Enforcement spent several hours Monday removing Davis campaign signs from the Monroe Park area in response to complaints from neighbors.
The signs were stapled to trees and telephone polls on private property in violation of city code, Code Enforcement Director Randy Wilkerson said Tuesday.
Williams-Preston's victory, combined with the imminent departure of three-term council member Derek Dieter, who lost the Democratic nomination for city clerk, could be seen as a victory for Mayor Pete Buttigieg.
The two have butted heads with the mayor on a number of issues over the years, from crime and infrastructure to community and economic development.
Buttigieg greeted Preston warmly Tuesday at the West Side Club.
“I think the voters sent a very strong message about how they want the council to work, and I’m looking forward to working with Regina and all the new council members, because we’re in this together,” he said.
Preston agreed, stressing her background in conflict resolution.
“I think that’s one of the things that I bring to the council,” she said. “When things get heated, when things get contentious in the room, to be able to slow things down a bit.”
In the only other contested council race Tuesday, incumbent Republican David Varner defeated Democratic challenger Robert Emory in District 5, which encompasses much of the far south side, including Ireland Road.
Varner, the only Republican on the council, collected 58 percent of the vote, or 1,376 votes, to 42 percent, or 1,005 votes, for Emory, a disabled former security guard.
Other winners Tuesday included:
City clerk: Kareemah Fowler (D)
Council at-large: Gavin Ferlic (D), John Voorde (D), Karen White (D)
District 1: Tim Scott (D)
District 3: Randy Kelly (D)
District 4: Jo Broden (D)
District 6: Oliver Davis (D)
In all, the council will include four “new” faces next year — Voorde, Kelly, Broden, and Preston — with both Kelly and Voorde having served on the body previously.
Council members Valerie Schey, D-District 3, and Fred Ferlic, D-District 4, did not run for re-election.
eblasko@sbtinfo.com
574-235-6187
@ErinBlasko

http://www.southbendtribune.com/news/el ... 43934.html
"Preserving and protecting the principles of the Constitution is the primary role of the federal government."
Happy Mom

Previous

Return to Local Politics