backstageadd ND

Anti-Violence Activist, was Arrested

Re: Anti-Violence Activist, was Arrested

Postby dunk50 » Mon Oct 13, 2014 8:28 pm

bdcbbq wrote:
st michael jr wrote:Sorry, BD, I don't want a violent convicted felon to ever have access to a firearm. This is one prime example. I have heard Mr. Hunt speak and think he is a good person for the most part but this shows his inability to follow a rule he was very aware of. I have no idea what the nature of the call was leading to his arrest.

I understand and get where you are coming from. The problem is the law is directed towards ALL felons, not just the violent ones. I couldn't care less about felons who have been convicted of fraud, possession and sales of drugs, burglary, etc. OTOH, murder, rape, armed robbery, kidnapping, etc. are another story.

SERIOUSLY: drug dealers and burglars should not be prevented from getting permits to carry guns LEGALLY! SERIOUSLY! Soeee, burglars can break into your home which is ILLEGAL, but they can carry a gun legally while doing so. !!! Your a little over the line there bdcbdq! I could go along with drug possession, MAYBE and fraud MAYBE!! :snooty:
Military at 17, 7th SFG Ft. Bragg, 10th SFG Bad Tolz, 5th SFG Nam, 34 Years South Bend Police and retired. Should be fishin but I'm on here!
dunk50

Postby bdcbbq » Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:41 am

My perspective on firearm laws in based on what I believe the 2nd Amendment means. Frankly, I don't believe the law regarding banning felons from having guns has any preventive value at all. I see it as a tool the police can use to arrest some people who are thugs but they don't have any other reason at the time or its used as a bargaining chip by prosecutors. From a LE perspective the law makes sense.

The felon in possession law was passed back in 1968 as a response to increased violence in the inner cities and the civil unrest back then. i'm sure that over the long haul it hasn't impacted anything.

Its not the firearm that is the problem. Its the person who has it. Therefore if someone uses it criminally then they should be punished appropriately with longer sentences.
bdcbbq

"Over himself, over his own body and mind, the individual is sovereign.” John Stuart Mill
bdcbbq

Postby Xenokilla » Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:42 am

bdcbbq wrote:My perspective on firearm laws in based on what I believe the 2nd Amendment means. Frankly, I don't believe the law regarding banning felons from having guns has any preventive value at all. I see it as a tool the police can use to arrest some people who are thugs but they don't have any other reason at the time or its used as a bargaining chip by prosecutors. From a LE perspective the law makes sense.

The felon in possession law was passed back in 1968 as a response to increased violence in the inner cities and the civil unrest back then. i'm sure that over the long haul it hasn't impacted anything.

Its not the firearm that is the problem. Its the person who has it. Therefore if someone uses it criminally then they should be punished appropriately with longer sentences.

I'm in favor of a time limit, 5 years without a felony is enough time i say. look what happened in chicago: http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2012 ... onvictions
"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet." -James Mattis
On twitter: @Xenokilla
Check my game reviews and other vids: http://www.youtube.com/xenokillaoftaw
Xenokilla

Postby st michael jr » Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:48 am

You might have a point Xeno. I might be persuaded that someone once they are off patrol and probation and out of prison for at least 5 years might be OK with a gun depending on what the conviction was for. I still think the onus is on the convicted felon because he/she made the decision that resulted in a felony conviction.
st michael jr

Postby Spider » Tue Oct 14, 2014 12:47 pm

Manslaughter. He killed a person. Don't really care what lead to that, but obviously a jury or judge didn't find it justified. At that point, you don't get to have a gun, ever again. He killed a person, he's lucky to be free at all. Its not unfair that society asks that, at the very least, he not have access to a tool designed for killing.
Spider

Postby Doe » Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:20 pm

I wonder when all the officers who knew he was taking guns out of the hands of kids and off the streets are going to step up and admit they knew about it and didn't stop him? Everyone knew he was risking his life and running himself ragged to help these kids and seemed to be fine with all he did-- where are they now?
Doe

Postby Xenokilla » Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:49 pm

Spider wrote:Manslaughter. He killed a person. Don't really care what lead to that, but obviously a jury or judge didn't find it justified. At that point, you don't get to have a gun, ever again. He killed a person, he's lucky to be free at all. Its not unfair that society asks that, at the very least, he not have access to a tool designed for killing.

Right, not to mention he used it to threaten his wife during a fight. A history of domestic abuse is one of the disqualifies for buying a gun and i'm all for it.
"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet." -James Mattis
On twitter: @Xenokilla
Check my game reviews and other vids: http://www.youtube.com/xenokillaoftaw
Xenokilla

Previous

Return to Local Politics