backstageadd ND

Deb Fleming to step in as county commissioner

Postby Happy Mom » Wed Nov 19, 2014 9:28 am

Fleming to step in as county commissioner
James Brosher
Newly elected St. Joseph County Commissioner Deb Fleming.
Posted: Wednesday, November 19, 2014 6:00 am | Updated: 7:52 am, Wed Nov 19, 2014.
By Amanda Gray South Bend Tribune

SOUTH BEND — St. Joseph County Republican party Chairwoman Deb Fleming won the seat of county commissioner by a substantial marginat a Tuesday evening GOP caucus.
Fleming was up against Myer Blatt, Gerard Arthus and Michael Ping to replace Marsha McClure, who recently announced her resignation as commissioner.
Fleming garnered 24 of the 26 votes cast and said she is "honored and humbled" by the prospects of serving the rest of McClure's term as county commissioner. Fleming will take office Dec. 1 and said she will resign from her position as party chairwoman by the end of the year.
"Technically I could hold both, but being party chair is almost like a full-time job, and that would give me three full-time jobs," said Fleming, who also serves as a dentist and owns Princess City Dental Care in Mishawaka. "My goal is to help, serve and promote the citizens. I'm going to be switching hats." Fleming added that she will continue her dental practice.
This isn't the first time Fleming has thrown her hat in the political ring; in 2010, she ran for the seat in County Council District H, but lost to Democrat Bob McCahill. Fleming said that loss was "very disappointing," but opened up doors for her to participate in county and state politics.
Fleming said she was "shocked and grateful" for the support of the precinct chairman of the district. She said her first steps will be to acclimate to the office, but her ultimate goals include updating the county's technology and transparency — specifically through publishing the county's checkbook online and digitizing property tax appeal filings.
"I think we need transparency, and we need to move the county into the 21st century," Fleming said. "When I was running for County Council, I found a community outside of Chicago that publishes their checkbook online. Moving to better technology is easier, better and more efficient for the citizens of St. Joseph County."
For her part, McClure said she will miss the constituents, but that the county is in good hands with Fleming. McClure's last day in office is Nov. 30, and her last meeting is scheduled to be at 10 a.m. Tuesday. She's moving to Atlanta to be closer to her children and granddaughter.
"I know that she will work hard and she's one of the smartest people I know," McClure said after the caucus on Tuesday. "She'll do a great job."
agray@SBTinfo.com
574-235-6209
@AmandaGraySBT

http://www.southbendtribune.com/news/lo ... 741e6.html
"Preserving and protecting the principles of the Constitution is the primary role of the federal government."
Happy Mom

Return to Local Politics