backstageadd ND

South Bend Common Council

Re: South Bend Common Council

Postby bdcbbq » Mon Jan 05, 2015 9:48 am

Run Henry Run.
bdcbbq

"Over himself, over his own body and mind, the individual is sovereign.” John Stuart Mill
bdcbbq

Postby Happy Mom » Mon Jan 05, 2015 9:51 am

bdcbbq wrote:Run Henry Run.

:lol: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rofl: :laughing-lettersrofl: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :obscene-drinkingchug: :obscene-drinkingdrunk:
"Preserving and protecting the principles of the Constitution is the primary role of the federal government."
Happy Mom

Postby Bingo » Mon Jan 05, 2015 6:07 pm

Tim Scott new president....
Bingo

Postby Happy Mom » Mon Jan 05, 2015 7:09 pm

Bingo wrote:Tim Scott new president....

Thanks Bingo!! :text-thankyouyellow: :text-thankyoublue:
"Preserving and protecting the principles of the Constitution is the primary role of the federal government."
Happy Mom

Postby Happy Mom » Mon Jan 05, 2015 10:30 pm

South Bend Common Council elects new president

Updated: Mon 7:11 PM, Jan 05, 2015
By: Megan Hickey - Email

The South Bend Common Council has elected a new president for the new year.

Tim Scott was elected on Monday as the new president. He is the first district representative and the current chair of the zoning and annexation committee and the information and technology committee.

Continuing as vice president is Derek Dieter and the committee of the whole chairperson is now Karen White.

“I am looking forward to 2015 and working with all the council members,” says Scott. “I think my leadership over 20 years in international businesswill help lead the council; that’s what I’m hoping for.”

Monday's reorganization comes after former President Oliver Davis announced that he would not be running for re-election.

“I’ve been blessed to be an officer with the South Bend Common Council for the last seven years,” says Oliver Davis. “I believe it’s time to let some of the newer leadership come in and bring in some ideas and lead us a different way. I still will be the 6th district councilman and I plan to be around here for awhile to give guidance and to move forward.”

Oliver Davis served on the council for 6 years before being elected president in 2014.

The decisions were not unanimous.

Second District Council Member Henry Davis Jr. pushed against each of tonight’s decisions.

He voted against all of the officers elected or reelected tonight.

http://www.wndu.com/home/headlines/Sout ... 82461.html
Happy Mom

Postby Happy Mom » Tue Jan 06, 2015 9:37 am

Scott elected president of South Bend council

Tim Scott
Robert Franklin, South Bend Tribune
Tim Scott, 1st district councilor, has been elected president of South Bend Common Council. SBT File Photo/ROBERT FRANKLIN
Posted: Tuesday, January 6, 2015 7:00 am | Updated: 8:28 am, Tue Jan 6, 2015.
By Erin Blasko South Bend Tribune

SOUTH BEND — Tim Scott was elected president of the Common Council Monday, replacing Oliver Davis, who declined to seek re-election to a second term.
“Thank you, and I look forward to working with everybody,” Scott, D-District 1, said in a short acceptance speech.
He later said his first priority would be to appoint members to the various council committees before this coming Monday, when the council meets for the first time.
As for recent dysfunction on the council, Scott said, “It has to do with organizational skills and communication. Whether we all get along or not, we need to communicate with each other the best we can.”
The vote was 7-2, with Henry Davis Jr. and Valerie Schey opposed to Scott as president in favor of Karen White, D-at large.
Oliver Davis attempted to abstain from the vote but eventually threw his support behind Scott as well after being told he had to vote yes or no.
Council members also re-elected Derek Dieter, D-at large, vice president and elected Karen White chair of the Committee of the Whole, replacing Schey, D-District 3.
Kathleen Cekanski-Farrand was reappointed council attorney for the 41st straight year.
Scott takes over for Oliver Davis following a tumultuous year for the council during which members routinely squabbled over legal and disciplinary matters and personal differences.
Oliver Davis’ tenure coincided with a contentious investigation into whether a council member violated the law or council rules by posting an obscene photo online.
He also led the council as it went to trial with the city over the release of the police tapes.
With support from the American Civil Liberties Union of Indiana, Oliver Davis is currently suing the council over the recent passage of an ordinance governing social media use by council members.
Announcing Monday morning that he would not seek a second term as president, Oliver Davis indicated it was time for someone else to step up and lead the body.
“It is time for someone else to move up or over to the driver’s seat of our South Bend Common Council,” he said in a statement. “Like my dad shared with my family long ago, sharing the driver’s seat helps us all to safely arrive to our destination.”
Oliver Davis also acknowledged the council’s many accomplishments in 2014, including passage of a balanced city budget and an amended animal care and control ordinance and approval of new redevelopment areas.
“Yes, we faced some turbulence in our flight, which we all had to deal with in our Common Council and in our city of South Bend,” he said, “but like any good flock of geese, we all made it safely home.”
In voting against Scott, Henry Davis Jr. noted Scott authored two ordi-nances, a busking ordinance and the aforementioned social media ordinance, that drew legal challenges last year from the ACLU, shining a negative light on the council.
:laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :liar: :hand: :roll:
“Currently we have our council president being sued in open court by the ACLU,” Davis said. “He may be exonerated, I don’t know. But I do know what’s out there right now, and it looks pretty damaging to this body.
Said Scott, “I don’t have any lawsuits against me, so that was kind of out of left field.”
In a statement Monday evening, Mayor Pete Buttigieg congratulated Scott, Dieter and White.
“I am looking forward to working with the council officers to continue moving the city forward and hope 2015 will be an especially fruitful year for our community,” he said.
eblasko@sbtinfo.com
574-235-6187
@ErinBlasko

http://www.southbendtribune.com/news/lo ... 2b79d.html
Happy Mom

Postby Happy Mom » Wed Jan 07, 2015 9:36 pm

S.B. Council competition heats up as candidate filing begins

Updated: Wed 7:35 PM, Jan 07, 2015
By: Mark Peterson - Email

Of the five district council seats now held by Democrat incumbents, four are already guaranteed to have primary election challengers.
It’s safe to say that a lot of people were looking forward to spring today—and not all because of the extreme winter weather conditions: Today also marked the first day to file as a candidate for the 2015 May Primary election.

“As a resident of the Second District, I’ve been concerned about proper representation for our district and I feel like I’m ready to do that, take on that responsibility,” said Gil Michel. “I’m hoping that my presence there on the council will quiet a lot of the drama, a lot of the controversy and that my, it won’t be just me, but I think I can help squelch a lot of that, the drama that’s so been identified with the council. It’s a bit of an embarrassment.”

Michel today filed to become a candidate for the South Bend Common Council. He’s running as a Democrat for the Second District seat now held by Henry Davis, Jr. Michel is a self-employed accountant and minister, who never thought he’d get involved in politics. “A year ago, I probably would never have aspired to any political office, but especially in the last six months, I felt a certain call, responsibility to run for office and to be the change I want to see, especially in my district.”

In fact, of the five district council seats now held by Democrat incumbents, four are already guaranteed to have primary election challengers. Incumbent First District Councilman Tim Scott has filed for re-election and already has an opponent in Marsha Brown-Humphrey.

In the Sixth District, incumbent Oliver Davis today filed for re-election and already has a challenger in Sheila Niezgodski.

While Henry Davis, Jr. and Valerie Schey have yet to file for re-election in the Second and Third Districts—challengers Michel and Lenora Hairston-Newhouse have become candidates.

“I would fully expect that every district and every race, especially in the City of South Bend is going to have primary challenges,” said St. Joseph County Democratic Party Chairman Jason Critchlow. “In Mishawaka, I think that might be a little different of a case.”

Indeed, today just one candidate filed for a seat on the Mishawaka Common Council, while seven filed as candidates in South Bend, including Kintae Lark who filed as an at-large Democrat.

“A lot of people would believe that the turnout is going to be lower than it was in 2011, simply because there’s not likely to be a large, hotly contested mayoral race. At this point, I’ve heard of no candidates intending to challenge Pete Buttigieg as mayor,” said Critchlow. However, Critchlow is now beginning to think his initial impression on turnout may turn out to be wrong. “With all the candidates on the ballot and everything that’s been going on in South Bend and around the common council it’s actually going to cause more people to come out and get involved.”
http://www.wndu.com/home/headlines/SB-C ... 48001.html
Happy Mom

Previous

Return to Local Politics