backstageadd ND

Investigation of South Bend mayor's chief of staff

Investigation of South Bend mayor's chief of staff

Postby Happy Mom » Sun Dec 28, 2014 1:20 pm

Investigation of South Bend mayor's chief of staff moves slowly
Still no word from state police on any progress

Posted: Sunday, December 28, 2014 6:00 am | Updated: 9:58 am, Sun Dec 28, 2014.
By Erin Blasko South Bend Tribune

SOUTH BEND — As the investigation into whether city employees performed work at the home of Kathryn Roos, the mayor’s chief of staff, enters its 15th week, the status of the case remains unclear.
Kara Kelly, spokeswoman for Mayor Pete Buttigieg, said last week the city has yet to receive a final report on the incident from Indiana State Police.
State police, meanwhile, remain silent on the matter.
Spokesman Sgt. Trent Smith, with the Bremen post, has not returned multiple phone calls over the past 14 weeks seeking comment on the case.
Smith could not be reached for comment again last week.
The investigation centers on whether city employees helped install a patio behind Roos’ home in July in violation of state law or city policy.
Jesse Davis, of People United for Better Government, alerted the Common Council to the situation in August, showing members a series of photos that purported to show the work in progress.

The photos showed what appeared to be city employees doing some sort of work in the alley behind Roos’ home, as well as four men in regular clothes standing or sitting in her backyard.
A city truck could be seen in one of the photos, parked in the alley.
The city’s Legal Department initially investigated the matter but turned the case over to state police after learning of the involvement of at least one city employee.
“We have learned that (Roos) hired a general contractor to perform work at her property and that the general contractor hired subcontractors, at least one of which was a city employee,” staff wrote in a letter to the Common Council in September.
Roos, who has served as the mayor’s chief of staff since June 2013, issued a statement in August denying any wrongdoing.
“I hired a private company to complete improvements at my home,” she said in the statement. “At no time did I ask or instruct a city employee to do work on my property.”

Of the slow pace of the investigation, Davis said Friday he is not entirely surprised.
“I understand that state moves at its own pace and they want to make sure they have all their ducks in a row, so I did not expect a result overnight,” he said Friday. “But I did not expect it to drag on this long.”
Speaking to The Tribune in September, state police Sgt. Bruce Duhaime promised a thorough investigation into the alleged incident but declined to speculate on the possible length of the probe.
The city, for its part, has declined to say whether any employees or officials have been suspended or otherwise disciplined in relation to the case.
A city employee or official who uses city resources for personal gain faces various consequences, up to and including criminal prosecution and termination, under state law and the city’s own ethics policy.

eblasko@sbtinfo.com
574-235-6187
@ErinBlasko
http://www.southbendtribune.com/news/po ... c4361.html
"Preserving and protecting the principles of the Constitution is the primary role of the federal government."
Happy Mom

Re: Investigation of South Bend mayor's chief of staff

Postby Bingo » Sun Dec 28, 2014 3:07 pm

2 of the top City Street Dept., employees resigned 2 weeks ago. :think:
Bingo

Postby Happy Mom » Sun Dec 28, 2014 3:57 pm

Bingo wrote:2 of the top City Street Dept., employees resigned 2 weeks ago. :think:

Wow, did not know that.... heard why?
"Preserving and protecting the principles of the Constitution is the primary role of the federal government."
Happy Mom

Postby Bingo » Mon Dec 29, 2014 4:35 am

:think: Read post above mine.
Bingo

Postby Gamblinbug » Thu Jan 01, 2015 12:46 am

Heard they resigned 12/5/14 this would be about 3 weeks ago which is when the news story says the ISP report came back to the prosecutor. Wonder why it takes over 3 weeks to determine if charges should be filed?

CHECK OUT OUR DYING CITY AND THE CORRUPTION WITHIN YOU DECIDE FOR YOURSELF.

http://www.youtube.com/user/ISPYFORU1
Gamblinbug

Postby Gamblinbug » Thu Jan 01, 2015 12:53 am

Any bets on how long this one will linger, or if it will be handled properly? Seems there is no transparency what so ever with this administration. :naughty:
CHECK OUT OUR DYING CITY AND THE CORRUPTION WITHIN YOU DECIDE FOR YOURSELF.

http://www.youtube.com/user/ISPYFORU1
Gamblinbug

Postby bdcbbq » Thu Jan 01, 2015 8:45 am

Gamblinbug wrote:Any bets on how long this one will linger, or if it will be handled properly? Seems there is no transparency what so ever with this administration. :naughty:

What do you mean "with this administration"? I've lived here for 20 years and haven't ever seen any.
bdcbbq

"Over himself, over his own body and mind, the individual is sovereign.” John Stuart Mill
bdcbbq

Postby Happy Mom » Thu Jan 01, 2015 5:21 pm

HoosierMama wrote:https://www.facebook.com/pages/JPs-Landscaping-Lawn-Care-LLC/1460340874181533

What is this? There isn't a whole lot of information.. :?
Happy Mom

Postby HoosierMama » Thu Jan 01, 2015 5:43 pm

JP's Landscaping business is owned by John Pemberton.
HoosierMama

Next

Return to Local Politics