backstageadd ND

Investigation of South Bend mayor's chief of staff

Re: Investigation of South Bend mayor's chief of staff

Postby Happy Mom » Tue Jun 23, 2015 11:54 am

MAYOR’S CHIEF OF STAFF KATHRYN ROOS DEPARTS TO ATTEND GRADUATE SCHOOL

Kathryn Roos, Mayor Pete Buttigieg’s Chief of Staff, will leave the City of South Bend later this month to pursue a master’s degree at the John F. Kennedy School of Government at Harvard University. Mayor Buttigieg will announce her successor later this week.

Roos has served as Mayor Buttigieg’s chief of staff for over two years.

“It has been a tremendous privilege and honor to work for Mayor Pete and the people of South Bend,” Roos says. “I hope I have had a positive impact and helped move South Bend forward. South Bend will always be home and I look forward to following and seeing the continued success of this wonderful community.”

Mayor Buttigieg commends Roos for her leadership, hard work, and friendship.

“Kathryn Roos has brought a truly exceptional mix of talent, insight, and work ethic to my administration,” says Buttigieg. “South Bend is better off thanks to her tireless and dedicated service, and so am I. Kathryn leaves behind a record of great impact as she moves forward in her education and career.”

A leading member of the mayor’s senior team since he took office, Roos played a key role in managing many of the administration’s most important efforts, including the Vacant and Abandoned Properties initiative, the Smart Streets program, and a successful partnership with Code for America.

Most recently, she guided the mayor’s winning primary re-election strategy, and was central in planning and coordinating South Bend’s 150th anniversary celebrations earlier this year.

She has served on a number of boards and commissions including the Board of Public Works, Susan G. Komen Northern Indiana, Downtown South Bend, and the Northeast Neighborhood Revitalization Organization.

Roos was also an important link in the enhanced relationship between the city and the University of Notre Dame.

“Kathryn and I interacted on a regular basis, staying engaged on current projects and initiatives involving the community and the university,” says Timothy Sexton, associate vice president for public affairs at the University of Notre Dame. “At all times, she exhibited great professionalism and collaboration.”

Roos also led the mayor’s office with Deputy Mayor Mark Neal while Mayor Buttigieg was deployed to Afghanistan for seven months in 2014.

“Kathryn played a key role in moving the city forward during Mayor Pete’s deployment and I was thrilled to be part of the City team with her,” says Neal, now chief operating officer at Bradley Company. “She demonstrated great courage and conviction in managing the many challenges of leadership in government.”

Before serving as chief of staff, Roos served as the mayor’s deputy chief of staff from his inauguration until June 2013. Before 2012, Roos was the finance director on Mayor Buttigieg’s successful 2011 mayoral campaign.

Roos is a 2007 graduate of the University of Notre Dame School of Architecture and a South Bend native. After graduating from Notre Dame, she worked with the architecture firm Porphyrios Associates in London before returning to South Bend.

http://www.ci.south-bend.in.us/resident ... rts-attend
"Preserving and protecting the principles of the Constitution is the primary role of the federal government."
Happy Mom

Postby bubblyone » Tue Jun 23, 2015 4:34 pm

Well, since the back yard is fixed up, she should be able to sell the house...
bubblyone

Postby Bingo » Fri Jun 26, 2015 12:50 pm

Get, while the getting's good ! :think:
I bet the next mayor's chief of staff won't be a woman....
Bingo

Postby Happy Mom » Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:48 pm

No indictments in Roos construction affair

Posted: Thursday, October 8, 2015 6:00 am
By Erin Blasko South Bend Tribune

SOUTH BEND — A St. Joseph County grand jury has elected not to indict any city employees in connection with the construction of a patio at the home of Kathryn Roos, former chief of staff to Mayor Pete Buttigieg.
Special prosecutor David Thomas, a senior prosecuting attorney for the state, confirmed the decision in an email Wednesday but could not provide any additional details about the case, which dates to 2014.
Thomas said the jury returned a verdict of “no bill,” which means they did not indict.
Grand jury testimony is secret under state law.
“This ends my special prosecutor review,” Thomas said in the email. “Further comment would be inappropriate because of Indiana law.”
Roos, who has since left the city to pursue other opportunities in higher education, was previously cleared in the case in June.
“No evidence was discovered which would show that (Roos) violated any laws either directly, indirectly, or by instruction to others,” Thomas wrote at the time. “(S)he is exonerated with prosecution declined.”
The jury also returned a verdict of no bill in another case involving a St. Joseph County highway employee, Thomas confirmed in the email.
In that case, the employee was accused of using county equipment to transport material across state lines.
“In both cases, multiple witnesses and exhibits were introduced,” Thomas said.
“(T)he grand jury was very much engaged in the process,” he added, “and I was impressed with their questions and review. I also agree with their decisions.”
The Roos case stems from a complaint filed by Mishawaka resident Jesse Davis with the South Bend Common Council in August of last year.
Davis presented photos to the council that he said showed city employees replacing a patio at Roos’ home on North Shore Drive on city time and with city equipment.
The city legal department initially investigated the case but later forwarded it to state police after learning of the involvement of at least one city employee.
Thomas, a former state inspector general, received the case in January.
In a report issued in June, Thomas concluded Roos hired a contractor to perform work at her home and that the contractor hired subcontractors to pour the patio
“It is understandable that the appearance draws concerns when a city worker is performing work at a fellow city worker’s residence,” he wrote at the time. “However, we could find no unlawful conduct or communication involving Ms. Roos.”
eblasko@sbtinfo.com
574-235-6187
@ErinBlasko

http://www.southbendtribune.com/news/pu ... 76038.html
"Preserving and protecting the principles of the Constitution is the primary role of the federal government."
Happy Mom

Postby Gamblinbug » Wed Oct 21, 2015 10:16 pm

Imagine that everyone should ask for a new patio in their backyard. :clap:
CHECK OUT OUR DYING CITY AND THE CORRUPTION WITHIN YOU DECIDE FOR YOURSELF.

http://www.youtube.com/user/ISPYFORU1
Gamblinbug

Previous

Return to Local Politics