backstageadd ND

He's Baaaaaaaaack ... CHARLIE FEIRRELL!

He's Baaaaaaaaack ... CHARLIE FEIRRELL!

Postby Buck Wheat » Fri Jan 08, 2016 8:04 am

Charlie Feirrell says he'll run for St. Joseph County commissioner

By Jeff Parrott South Bend Tribune | Posted: Friday, January 8, 2016 5:00 am

A former St. Joseph County police officer who left the force in 2000 embroiled in scandal after committing felony bigamy plans to run for county commissioner.

Charlie Feirrell, 60, said he will file papers Tuesday morning declaring his candidacy for the District 3 seat now held by Republican Deb Fleming. He would face Phil Dotson, who currently is county recorder, in the May 3 Democratic primary election for the commissioner’s seat. The filing period opened Wednesday.

Feirrell, a supervisor with the county highway department, said he has held a wide variety of jobs since his resignation from law enforcement, a resignation that was required because Indiana law prohibits convicted felons from carrying a gun. He first worked as a seasonal snow plow driver at the highway department and also worked in construction, then took a security consulting job in Saudi Arabia in 2004, returned to town in 2005 and drove a truck for the Food Bank of Northern Indiana, and has worked full time as a highway department supervisor since 2007.

Indiana law prohibits felons from holding public office, but Feirrell no longer is a felon. In 2013, he petitioned St. Joseph Superior Judge Jerome Frese to expunge the conviction, and Frese agreed to do so.

In 2000, at a time when he had served as the police department’s public information officer, giving him frequent contact with the news media, Feirrell married Amanda Hart, then a news anchor for WSBT-TV, while he was still married to his wife, Sue. Earlier on the day he married Hart, he reported that someone shot him in the thigh at University Park Mall in Mishawaka. No one was ever charged in the shooting.

Feirrell said he is confident that voters won’t hold his past against him.

“There’s far more to it than anybody knew,” he said. “I was in the public eye all the time so I was exposed to the public way more than the average citizen would have been. Everybody makes mistakes but not everybody’s are magnified like mine were. There is no felony or record of my breaking the law on the books. It did happen but it’s since been rectified. It was an intensely personal thing and had nothing to do with my law enforcement career or my service to the public.”

A reporter then asked him if he acknowledges that he broke the law. He paused for several seconds.

“The charges and that entire incident no longer exist,” he said. “I’m very pleased with the results as they sit now.”

Feirrell said he has been unofficially campaigning for the past 18 months, visiting fraternal halls and public events and telling people he was considering a run for elected office. He said he learned from asking people what problems they have with county government that many people are frustrated, both on the national and county levels.

“People feel disconnected from public officials,” he said. “They don’t feel they can go to their local government and get things done. We need to change that. We need to make local government accessible for the people who put us there. We need people who are going to be active with their community. I don’t see it. We have managers but what we need is leadership. People are saying somebody has to do something about it. Well I’m somebody.”

Asked for an example, Feirrell said the vast majority of people are unhappy with the county’s leaf pickup program, contracted out to private vendor GreenWorld. If elected, he would try to bring that function back to the county highway department, he said.

He identified his campaign manager as retired county police officer James Bacsa, and his treasurer as Amy Woodruff.

He said he and Dotson have agreed to not run a negative campaign.

“I wish him good luck but I’m confident we’ll be able to prove to the people of the 3rd District that I’ll be a better choice than Phil,” Feirrell said. “I’ve been working on and off for St. Joe County for 30 years and public service has been my entire life. There isn’t a county office that I haven’t worked with at some point in my career.”

http://www.southbendtribune.com/news/elections/charlie-feirrell-says-he-ll-run-for-st-joseph-county/article_0d1ff9bf-9713-5507-ade5-cd6b1a285516.html

:whistle:
Buck Wheat

Re: He's Baaaaaaaaack ... CHARLIE FEIRRELL!

Postby bob_rx2000 » Fri Jan 08, 2016 12:56 pm

On the one hand, can you imagine anyone actually electing this guy?

On the other, we do live in a county where the Snyders were both elected and re-elected.
Bob_Rx2000
"Because, Gentlemen, I don't trust you..." Gunning Bedford, U.S. Constitutional Convention
"First God created the idiot. That was for practice. Then he created the School Board." Mark Twain
bob_rx2000

Location: South Bend, in a subdivision scheduled for annexation

Postby raycyrx » Fri Jan 08, 2016 2:49 pm

I've heard from reliable sources that CF is a good guy.
But REALLY, folks... his only political value at this point is entertainment value.
This has made for TV movie written all over it.
The Church is not a hotel for saints. It is a hospital for sinners.
St. Augustine
raycyrx

Postby bdcbbq » Fri Jan 08, 2016 4:49 pm

Is Amanda going to be his media manager? I wonder if he now has a LTCH.
bdcbbq

"Over himself, over his own body and mind, the individual is sovereign.” John Stuart Mill
bdcbbq

Postby Happy Mom » Fri Jan 08, 2016 8:39 pm

Did he marry Amanda, and if so, are they still married? Is he running as a Democrat?
"Preserving and protecting the principles of the Constitution is the primary role of the federal government."
Happy Mom

Postby Ideal Baloney » Sat Jan 09, 2016 9:53 am

Happy Mom wrote:Did he marry Amanda, and if so, are they still married? Is he running as a Democrat?

No, HM, CharLIE's "marriage" to Miss Amanda Hart (real name Horvath) was declared null and void by Judge Marnocha 3 days after the 12/3/1999 ceremony at Tippecanoe Place. Amanda eventually tied the knot with a chap named Tim Ceravolo. I'm not sure if they are still married:

Ideal Baloney

Postby Ideal Baloney » Sat Jan 09, 2016 9:59 am

Feirrell married this woman approximately 5 years ago: https://www.facebook.com/annette.epperson.79?fref=ts

Ideal Baloney

Postby Happy Mom » Sat Jan 09, 2016 7:10 pm

WOW! Thanks IB!! Charlie has not aged well and did he meet his new misses in Vegas? :? :shock:
"Preserving and protecting the principles of the Constitution is the primary role of the federal government."
Happy Mom

Postby John Q Public » Fri Feb 05, 2016 7:28 pm

Dang, Charlie shut down a promising thread on SBF. This would have been fun as the election season progressed. For him to feel the voters wouldn't hold his felonious past against him is simply a misguided Democrat way of thinking.

Bye Charlie, now stay gone.

:naughty: :naughty: :naughty:
If you like your health insurance, you can keep it. --- Barack Hussein Obama
John Q Public

Location: Somewhere in a tall building in downtown South Bend

Postby Happy Mom » Sat Feb 06, 2016 7:34 pm

Charlie Feirrell drops out of St. Joseph County commissioner race

Charlie Feirrell drops out of St. Joe County commissioner race
Becky Malewitz, South Bend Tribune
Democrat Charlie Feirrell
Posted: Thursday, February 4, 2016 1:02 pm | Updated: 5:32 am, Fri Feb 5, 2016.
By Jeff Parrott South Bend Tribune

Democrat Charlie Feirrell withdrew Thursday from the St. Joseph County commissioners District 3 race, citing “unforeseen personal issues that have come up.”
The issues “will require a great deal of my time and I just flat out won’t have the time needed for this campaign,” Feirrell said. “It’s disappointing but it’s that simple. Some things are more important than politics and any plans that I might have.”
Feirrell declined to elaborate.
He would have faced a May 3 primary race against Democrat Phil Dotson, who is now the county’s elected recorder. The winner of that election would try in November to unseat Republican incumbent Deb Fleming, who recently filed for re-election.
That race could determine partisan control of the three-member board of commissioners, because the other two seats are held by Democrat Dave Thomas and Republican Andy Kostielney, if Thomas can fend off a challenge from Republican Rich Zeigler.
County Democratic Party Chair Jason Critchlow said he was surprised by the news because Feirrell had discussed wanting to run for so long.
“He called me the week I became chairman in 2013 to tell me he planned to run,” Critchlow said.

Feirrell, now a supervisor with the county highway department, had been a county police officer until resigning in 2000 amid a bigamy scandal. He pleaded guilty to felony bigamy after marrying then-WSBT-TV news anchor Amanda Hart while he was still married to his wife, Sue.
He is eligible to hold public office because in 2013, he petitioned St. Joseph Superior Judge Jerome Frese to expunge the conviction, and Frese agreed to do so.
In filing his candidacy last month, Feirrell had said he was confident that voters wouldn’t hold his past against him.
http://www.southbendtribune.com/news/el ... 2ce63.html
Happy Mom

Next

Return to Local Politics