backstageadd ND

Judge candidate kicked out of St. Joseph County 4-H Fair

Judge candidate kicked out of St. Joseph County 4-H Fair

Postby Happy Mom » Tue Jul 05, 2016 7:45 pm

Judge candidate kicked out of St. Joseph County 4-H Fairgrounds
Doug Bernacchi says he left peacefully

By Jeff Parrott South Bend Tribune Updated 1 hr ago (0)
South Bend Tribune
2/6/2016: no caption, story head: Judge hopeful faces misconduct complaint

Robert Franklin, South Bend Tribune
Volunteers work at the GOP booth at the St. Joseph County 4-H Fair in South Bend on Tuesday. Republican Doug Bernacchi, candidate for county circuit court judge,was thrown out of the fair over the holiday weekend after he allegedly became angry that his name was not on the banner posted behind the booth. Bernacchi says he was asked to leave the fair, and did so peacefully, after getting ill. Tribune Photo/ROBERT FRANKLIN

SOUTH BEND — St. Joseph County 4-H Fair officials Friday ordered a man running for judge to leave the fairgrounds after he was involved in a dispute that upset some fair vendors.

Republican Doug Bernacchi, candidate for county circuit court judge, was asked to leave and agreed to do so peacefully, said Jim Caldwell, fair board president.

When contacted by The Tribune today, Bernacchi said he had not argued with anyone. The disturbance was created when he vomited after eating some fudge and cotton candy that he bought at the fair, he said.

“No one kicked me out,” Bernacchi said.

But Republican Party and fair officials said Bernacchi was forced to leave.

Eyewitness Mark Williams, who was working a booth for AIM Water Treatment near the GOP booth in the Commercial Building, said Bernacchi was yelling at a Republican Party booth volunteer because the party’s banner did not contain his name.

“He threw a temper tantrum,” Williams said.

At one point, Williams said Bernacchi went out to his car and returned with his own campaign bumper stickers and began placing them on chairs at the booth.

“I was embarrassed,” said Williams, who said he tends to vote Republican. “I wasn’t sure if we were going to have to have the police in here or what. He was acting like a total child.”

Williams said he did not see Bernacchi vomit.

Roy Saenz, county Republican Party chairman, said fair officials told him they ordered Bernacchi to leave and not return because vendors near the party’s booth were so upset by Bernacchi’s behavior.

“Vendors were uncomfortable with the discussion that was transpiring,” said Saenz, who was not present at the time. “It is an unfortunate incident to have a candidate be asked to leave the fairgrounds. We expect all of our candidates to behave in a professional manner, however we are human and people make mistakes. I have spoken with Doug (Tuesday) and he apologized for anything that embarrassed the party. He attributed it to me as something from eating too much sugar.”

The incident happened Friday afternoon. Later that night Bernacchi blasted the fair on social media.

“Fairs are not good for children and families,” he posted on Instagram.

“Avoid the St. Joseph Co. Fair Like the Plague! #Weirdos #Granger #familyunfriendly,” he Tweeted on his Twitter account, @Doug4Judge.

When asked Tuesday to elaborate on his social media posts, Bernacchi said, “there are a lot of carnival folks there. There’s an element at the fair that everyone considers seedy. You play games to win a toy where someone is giving the finger. The food is not great. It’s not healthy. I ate it and I got sick.”

Bernacchi said he posted similar criticisms of the fair Sunday morning on Facebook but later deleted them and invited people to attend the fair.

“I did it to create some interest about the fair,” he said. “The discussion I generated will yield improvement.”

Bernacchi is running for the judge seat against Democrat John Broden in the Nov. 8 election. The seat opened up when Democratic Judge Michael Gotsch chose not to seek re-election. Gotsch was recently appointed as U.S. District Court magistrate.

http://www.southbendtribune.com/news/lo ... 5f7b2.html
"Preserving and protecting the principles of the Constitution is the primary role of the federal government."
Happy Mom

Re: Judge candidate kicked out of St. Joseph County 4-H Fair

Postby bdcbbq » Tue Jul 05, 2016 8:41 pm

No way should this guy get elected as a dogcatcer, much less a judge.
bdcbbq

"Over himself, over his own body and mind, the individual is sovereign.” John Stuart Mill
bdcbbq

Return to Local Politics