backstageadd ND

Scams

Re: Scams

Postby Happy Mom » Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:05 am

SCAM ALERT: Two new scams reported in Michiana

Updated: Thu 7:50 AM, Mar 27, 2014
By: Kate Chappell - Email

OSCEOLA The Better Business Bureau is warning consumers of two new scams striking Michiana. The first involves a phone call claiming you've won a cruise.

Liz Miller told the BBB she received a phone call from a man with a broken accent who told her she won a random-drawing cruise to Puerto Rico. Miller turned down the offer, and told the caller she was disabled and had no transportation to Miami, where the trip was supposedly departing. He continued insisting she take the trip, even offering to provide transportation by bus.

Miller noticed the 876 area code and told the man she would think about it and call back. When she did, there was no answer. Instead a new number, this time a 404 area code, called back.

Eventually the truth was exposed- Miller would have to pay a 1% tax on the trip, totaling $1,000.
"She hadn't won a trip, there wasn't anything there," said Dreama Jensen of the Better Business Bureau. "He was after using the credit card. He would have her credit card number and could make use of [it]. In most cases, they may make a charge or two on the card, but what they are interested in is getting the card so they can sell them."

Miller did not fall for the scam and did not lose any money. She did report the incident to the BBB, which is what anyone who receives this call is advised to do.

The second scam affects email inboxes. A hacker is posing as Microsoft, claiming recipients are the winners of the Edinburg Product Anniversary Award. The email will include an attachment, supposedly a congratulatory letter, which is really a virus.

"The safest thing if you don't recognize it just delete it," said Jensen.

Once a person opens the attachment, the malware virus will attempt to locate personal and banking information within the computer.

For more information or to report a scam, call the Better Business Bureau at (574) 675-9351.

http://www.wndu.com/home/headlines/SCAM ... 17721.html
"Preserving and protecting the principles of the Constitution is the primary role of the federal government."
Happy Mom

Postby Happy Mom » Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:54 am

Police warn of water softener repair scam

Posted: Wed 9:15 PM, Aug 13, 2014
By: NewsCenter 16 Staff Email
Beware of maintenance men offering to fix your water softener.
SOUTH BEND, Ind.--- Beware of maintenance men offering to fix your water softener.

South Bend police warn that a white man in his 50's has been knocking on doors on the east and south side offering to perform maintenance.

He mostly targets older people, and is very pushy about getting in.

Once he's inside, he'll fumble around with the units for a few minutes, then claim he has cleaned it and demand roughly $60.

Anyone with information on this person should contact South Bend police.
http://www.wndu.com/home/headlines/Poli ... 66941.html
"Preserving and protecting the principles of the Constitution is the primary role of the federal government."
Happy Mom

Postby Happy Mom » Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:48 pm

Just got a scam e-mail;

Dearest one,

I presumed that all is well with you and your family. Please let this do not be a surprise proposal to you because i got your contact information from the international directory in few weeks ago before i decided to contact you on this magnitude and lucrative transaction for our future survival in life. Moreover, i have laid all the solemn trust in you before i decided to disclose this successful & confidential transaction to you.

I, FELIX LAWRENCE THE CHIEF AUDITOR INCHARGE OF FOREIGN REMITTANCE UNIT of our bank and i have had the intent to contact you over this financial transaction worth the sum of NINE MILLION,THREE HUNDRED THOUSAND UNITED STATES DOLLARS($9,300,000.00 ) for our success. This is an abandoned sum that belongs to one of our bank foreign customers who died along with his entire family through plane crash disaster since few years ago. Meanwhile i was very fortune to came across the deceased file when i was arranging the old and abandoned customers files in other to sign and submit to the entire bank management for an official re-documentation and audit of the year against 2014.

Be informed clearly that it was stated in our banking rules and regulations which was signed lawfully that if such fund remains unclaimed till the period of 7 years started from the date when the beneficiary died, the money will be transferred into the treasury as an unclaimed fund. As an honor and advantage bestowed to our foreign customers base on the rules guiding our bank, it was stated obviously that if you are not a Burkina Faso citizen, you have the absolute authority to claim the fund hence you are a foreigner despite your differences from the country of origin of the deceased. So the request of you as a foreigner is necessary to apply for the claim and transfer of the fund smoothly into your reliable bank account as the NEXT OF KIN OR EXTENDED RELATIVE to the deceased.

On the transfer of this fund into your account, { 40% } will be your share in respect of the account provision and your assistance rendered during the transfer of the fund into your bank account,{ 50%} will be my share being the coordinator of the transaction while the rest { 10% } will be shared to the respectable Organizations Centers such as Charity Organization, Motherless Babies homes, and helpless disabled people in the World.

If you are really sure of your trustworthy, accountability and confidentiality on his transaction, contact me and agree that you will not change your mind to cheat or disappoint me when the fund have getting into your account. Besides you should not entertain any fear because i am sure of the success as an insider in the bank ok. Please reply with the assurance, include your private telephone and fax numbers necessary for facilitate an easy communication in this transaction. As soon as you reply, so that i will let you know the next step to follow in order to finalize this transaction immediately

Thanks my regards
MR FELIX LAWRENCE
Happy Mom

Postby Happy Mom » Wed Sep 10, 2014 6:39 pm

Another one.....

GREETINGS!!

How are you? I know you may be surprised to receive this letter, please consider this letter as a request from the son of a widow. Firstly, I am MR KADI KARIM the son of Late MR USMAN KADI who was murdered few years back in the land dispute in Zimbabwe. I got your contact through the South African Trade and Business Information services and I assure you that nobody knows about this transaction except me,and my sick mother.

Before the death of my Father. He took me to ouagadougou Burkina Faso to deposit the sum of US$10.5 Million (TEN MILLION FIVE HUNDRED THOUSAND UNITED STATES DOLLARS) in a private Security Company, when He foresees the looming danger in Zimbabwe. This money was deposited as family valuables to avoid much demurrage cost from the Security Company. This amount was meant for the purchase of new machines and chemicals for the farms and also for the establishment of a new farm in Swaziland. The land disputes started when Zimbabwean President MR. ROBERT MUGABE introduced a new Land Act reform, which wholly affected the rich white farmers and some few black farmers. This resulted to many killings by Zimbabwe war veterans and some lunatics in the society.

In fact, a lot of people were killed because of this land reformed Act for which my father was one of the victims. It is on this background that My sick mother and I,who are currently staying in Burkina Faso as refugees decided to transfer my Father’s money to a foreign country since the laws of Burkina Faso prohibits refugees from opening any bank account orto be involved in any financial transaction throughout the territorial zones of Burkina Faso. Please, I need your assistance to transfer this fund to your trusted overseas bank account. For your efforts and assistance, I have agreed to give you 30% of the total sum, while 5% is mapped out to re-imbrues all the expenses incurred in the course of this transaction and 65% will be for me and my sick mother investment in your country.

Note that this transaction is 100% clear and Risk-Free, as I have made every necessary arrangement for a successful deal. The only thing I solicit for is your total assistance to transfer this money, complete trust and assurance that my own part of money will be safe when transferred to your account. Kindly keep this business proposal highly confidential for security reasons.

If you are interested in assisting me,contact me immediately,i will respond to you on how the transfer of this fund can made to your country upon acceptance. Please your private phone and fax numbers will be mostly needed for easy and confidential communication. I look forward to hear from you immediately you receive this mail.kindly get back to me through my private Email:(kadikarim01@hotmail.com)

Thanks and may God almighty bless you.

Best regards,

MR KADI KARIM
Happy Mom

Postby Happy Mom » Wed Oct 15, 2014 7:33 am

Another 'winner' in scam

Posted: Wednesday, October 15, 2014 5:24 am
By Dreama Jensen
A Mishawaka woman sent us a form letter she received from scam artists under the guise of Publishers Clearing Housing. The letter informs her that she won second place or $2 million. Enclosed with the letter was a check for $6,150.92 "to cover Processing, Attorney, Insurance, Shipping and Handling fees." Of course the check is fake, as is the claim that she won money.
The letter says she had to keep the prize information strictly confidential in order to prevent multiple claims and to minimize the risks of frauds and scams. In reality, however, the scam artists were hoping to prevent their targeted victim from discussing the matter with anyone who might discourage her from getting involved in the scam. She also was to call a representative in order to activate her check. If she had followed those instructions, she would have learned that she had to send money before receiving the fictitious pot of gold.
This letter does have a little humor in it as on the first page of the form letter the recipient is told she has won "Two Million US Dollars" and on the other side of the letter she is told she has won $3,500,000.00." Fortunately, the Mishawaka woman realized that she hadn't won anything and she passed the letter on to us. Yes, this is an old scam, but I'm passing it on to ensure no one becomes a victim.
Business email hacked
Part of your job may involve paying invoices for your business. All of a sudden you receive an email marked "Urgent" that has been sent by an executive at your company who wants you to change how you pay invoices from a vendor. Instead of sending a check, you now are to wire the money straight to a bank account.
Though the request might sound strange, it came as an urgent message from a top boss. You don't ask questions; you do as you are told. But then you later learn the money went to a scammer instead of the vendor. This is a hard scam to detect because the scammers use the names and emails of actual vendors and executives of your company.

This scam, like so many others, has many variations. In a different approach, scammers hack into the vendor's email account and send various messages to their customers. Regardless of where the instructions come from, responding as requested means the wire transfer will end up in the bank account of the scammers. The email account might have been hacked or the con artists might be using software to disguise their email address or make it look very similar.
Account Payables needs to be aware of such scams and if there is any doubt whatsoever, check it out before remitting. Be very careful with wire transfers and remember scammers always pressure you to "act now." Take your time to verify any unusual request regardless of how urgent it appears to be.
Dreama Jensen is area director of the Better Business Bureau serving Northern Indiana. Contact the BBB at 574-675-9351 or visit www.bbb.org.
http://www.southbendtribune.com/news/bu ... f6878.html
Happy Mom

Postby Happy Mom » Tue Jun 30, 2015 3:58 pm

Maureen McFadden WNDU
28 mins ·
SCAM ALERT: Just got a call from these numbers telling me I was under federal investigation and to call them back or charges would be filed. Ha ha. I called them back and told them I worked for NBC and asked them if they wanted to be recorded for our conversation. They declined. Here are the numbers. I only answered because sometimes Viber calls from my son show up with odd numbers: (586)003-8471 and 516 013-8471. The 8471 is consistent so beware.
Happy Mom

Postby Happy Mom » Thu Jul 02, 2015 8:47 am

http://viralsurvival.com/2015/07/01/if- ... -big-scam/

Recently, with the announcement of the legalization of same sex marriage in America, people have been coming out voicing their opinions on the ruling very loudly. For supporters, one of the easiest yet most effective ways has been to change their profile picture so that it has a transparent rainbow overlay using a tool set up by Facebook itself.

Within just a few hours, over 1 million users had changed their Facebook profile picture to include this rainbow image using the ‘Celebrate Pride’ tool. To date, more than 26 million users have used the tool.
While it seems like an innocent way to show your support for marriage for gay Americans, there may be something slightly more in genuine going on. Facebook users using the ‘Celebrate Pride’ tool may be falling into a trap – a data trap, that is.

Back in 2014, it was discovered that Facebook had been conducting psychological experiments on its users without their knowledge. The social media giant studied how different users moods and statuses reflected what they saw on their own news feed, even going so far as to cater specific content to users to determine how it would effect their own mood.

Now, the rise of the ‘Celebrate Pride’ tool has some users theorizing that their information is being collected again. The thought is that the company is trying to find out how likely a user is to change their profile picture in response to a social issue and whether it is based on previous social declarations or even based on their other friends’ profile pictures.

As a report from the Atlantic reveals, this would not be the first time Facebook used people’s support of gay rights to collect data. In 2013, Facebook published a study on the factors that would influence a person to support marriage equality based on the red “equal sign” profile picture. The study revealed that, unsurprisingly, the more friends a user has that had the profile picture, the more likely a user was to use that image for their default picture themselves.

- See more at: http://viralsurvival.com/2015/07/01/if- ... ldbor.dpuf
Happy Mom

Postby Happy Mom » Wed Jul 15, 2015 4:52 pm

Guy in Michiana just posted this...

Guy in South Bend selling computers laptops and desk tops, is putting bootlegged copies of Windows 7 and charges u $ 50.00-75.00 for the installation his name is John Ramsey and his number is (574)-334-3567 he post on Craigslist. So be very careful who u take your computer to for repair and install. I just found out because i called Microsoft and they said my laptop copy of Windows 7 was bootlegged.....
Happy Mom

Postby Happy Mom » Tue Feb 09, 2016 5:41 pm

Do people really fall for these scammers? Just received another one today...by e-mail...

Carressa Danton(Mrs) <info.togoatlantiquebureau@gmail.com>

Greetings XXXXXX,

Please allow me to introduce myself a bit before going in to details.

I am a banker by profession; i work with a Micro Finance Bank as a branch manager here in Togo. My names are Mrs. Carressa Danton.

One Late Ms. Asiya Elif XXXXXX had a fixed deposit account with my bank in January 2006 for 36 calendar months, valued at US
$14,600,000.00 (Fourteen Million Six Hundred Thousand US Dollars) The due date for this deposit contract was the 16th of January 2011 and Sadly she Ms. Asiya XXXXXX was included in the death toole that erupted java island in Indonesia on May 27th 2006 Earthquake disaster which affected over 5,000 lives.

You can visit the site for more information:
http://www.mapsofworld.com/world-news/i ... quake.html.

She is a citizen of your country and she has neither heir nor next of Kin during the opening of the account because i was her account officer. I am very pleased to write you immediately to seek your co-operation and present you as the Next of Kin / Heir to the account holder at my Bank to enable them release the account to you because the deposit duration is fast approaching.

I will give you all the details of this fund immediately I hear from you.
Regards
Mrs. Carressa Danton
Happy Mom

Postby st michael jr » Tue Feb 09, 2016 7:31 pm

Sadly, yes, people do fall for this.
st michael jr

PreviousNext

Return to Crime