backstageadd ND

How safe is the area around Notre Dame?

Postby Happy Mom » Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:49 pm

Council member wants more police help from university

[img ]http://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townnews.com/southbendtribune.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/a/42/a424f776-5c27-11e4-850e-0017a43b2370/544b6aa77a845.image.jpg?resize=300%2C200 [/img]

ND area safety questioned
South Bend Common Council member Dr. Fred Ferlic is asking for more crime-fighting help from the University of Notre Dame in the area outside the campus. Here a city police cruiser drives through Eddy Street Commons. SBT Photo/SANTIAGO FLORES

Posted: Saturday, October 25, 2014 5:19 am | Updated: 6:55 am, Sat Oct 25, 2014.
By Christian Sheckler South Bend Tribune

SOUTH BEND -- Nick Palutsis, 18, was walking back to his dorm with two fellow Notre Dame freshmen after a Friday night off campus when two teens sprang from the shadows, held guns to their heads and ordered them to hand over their cash and phones.
When the ordeal was over, Palutsis and his friends managed to hail a cab back to campus, unhurt but shaken, as he chronicled in a post on his Twitter feed.
"Your outlook on life is very different once you have two guns pointed at you," Palutsis tweeted.
The incident prompted his father, Roger, to write Notre Dame President the Rev. John I. Jenkins to voice his dismay about what he described as a "tragic" incident that not only robbed his son of his youthful innocence, but also underscored a "rapid rise in crime in the Notre Dame area."
Several high-profile crimes near the Notre Dame campus over the past year -- including a toddler's fatal shooting and, most recently, a robbery that left a Holy Cross College student wounded -- have raised anew questions about whether the university should help fight the perceived increase in crime, even as city officials and crime statistics suggest the area is among the city's safest.
Common Council member Dr. Fred Ferlic, who represents northeastern South Bend and lives in a new housing development next door to the Notre Dame campus, plans to introduce a resolution Nov. 10 urging Mayor Pete Buttigieg to ask the university for more crime-fighting resources.
"I'm not a security expert, I'm not a policeman, I just know there's an uptick in crime," Ferlic told The Tribune.
"Our mayor cannot succeed as a mayor or any future political office unless he adequately addresses the violence that exists in South Bend, and many of us do not believe it can succeed without collaboration with Notre Dame. And I don't mind using the word 'beg.' "

Although Notre Dame maintains its own police force to patrol the campus, Ferlic said he believed the university also ought to provide either more officers or financing to increase patrols in areas outside the campus.
Ferlic's resolution, which is also sponsored by council members Tim Scott and Karen White, "invites the University of Notre Dame to partner with the City to explore more creative options for the University to be a key financial partner in the development, creation, and sustainability of a viable city-wide model on crime prevention."
Buttigieg said Thursday he would be meeting with Notre Dame officials soon to talk about extra security measures in neighborhoods near the campus, but he said it was too early to say whether he would ask the university for money or other specific requests.
"There are a number of different models to look at, and we're having early conversations about that," he said. "I will say we see some opportunities to do more, and we will engage the university to see if they can help."
He said any plan to increase the security presence around Notre Dame would likely combine crime data and technology -- possibly including surveillance cameras or other measures -- with stepped-up manpower.
Notre Dame spokesman Dennis Brown said last week that university officials have not changed their traditional view that South Bend city police are best equipped to handle crime outside the campus.
"The idea of having Notre Dame police patrol in the neighborhoods adjacent to the campus has been raised in the past," Brown told The Tribune in an email. "After studying the issue, we felt that the South Bend police are best equipped for this function. As it currently stands, we continue to feel this way."
Ferlic's push for increased help from Notre Dame came on the heels of a robbery-turned-shootout Oct. 12 that left a Holy Cross College student and a teen robbery suspect wounded at a student rental house on Notre Dame Avenue, not far south of the campus.
He also pointed to a perceived increase in armed robberies of students and other violent crimes that occurred in the area over the past year, such as the April shooting that left a 2-year-old boy dead on Campeau Street after he was struck by gunfire from an alleged gang fight nearby.
Ferlic said he has fielded numerous calls from panicked parents who fear it's only a matter of time before a Notre Dame student is killed or raped.
Still, Buttigieg said, the northeast-side neighborhoods that surround Notre Dame remain among the safest in South Bend.
Of the 64 shootings that have injured people in the city this year, just three happened in neighborhoods adjacent to the campus. The Campeau Street and Notre Dame Avenue shootings accounted for two of those.
A Tribune analysis of crime statistics for each of the past four years found that, on average, the roughly one-square-mile area just south of the Notre Dame campus has accounted for 7 percent of the city's robberies and just over 3 percent of its aggravated assaults, including shootings.
The analysis was based on citywide crime statistics for 2011, 2012, 2013 and through September 2014, compared with statistics for the same time period in the area bounded by North Michigan Street, Angela Boulevard, Twyckenham Drive and Jefferson Boulevard.
"It is, if you look at the statistics, one of the safest areas of the city, but when crime happens close to you that's a crime wave to you," Buttigieg said. "My hope is we can continue looking for solutions in a fact-based way while at the same time recognizing people will be upset and fired up whenever crime happens close to them."
The statistics show a slight year-to-year fluctuation in some crimes in the neighborhoods around Notre Dame, while others remain fairly consistent.
For example, robberies decreased from 27 to 20 between 2011 and 2012, then jumped to 30 in 2013. The area had seen 19 robberies through Wednesday.
The area's aggravated assaults, including shootings, rose from six in 2011 to 15 in 2012, but the total declined to six again in 2013 and five this year through Wednesday -- a total that included injuries to the Holy Cross student and one of his suspected robbers this month.
While he acknowledged his push for support from Notre Dame largely stemmed from concerns about crime against students, Ferlic said he would also like to see the university pitch in for an increased police presence throughout the city.
"I'm asking for Notre Dame to help all of South Bend, not just my area," he said.
Citywide, robberies were down about 15 percent through September, compared with the same period in 2013. Assaults were up about 17 percent overall, though police statistics show the number of shooting victims has decreased by 6 percent this year.
Ferlic cited several examples of universities that either patrol areas beyond their campuses or provide cities with funding that can go directly toward police operations. The University of Chicago Police Department for example, employs a force of about 100 officers and handles patrols in a roughly six-square-mile area that stretches several blocks beyond the campus into residential neighborhoods.
A University of Chicago spokesman, Jeremy Manier, said the patrol area has developed over time, including extensions approved by the Chicago City Council in 2004 and 2011, and has been influenced by the university's large presence in surrounding neighborhoods.
"The extended patrol area enhances safety and security through the mid-South Side, which is home to a large number of University of Chicago faculty members, students and staff," he said.
574-235-6480
csheckler@sbtinfo.com
@jcsheckler

http://www.southbendtribune.com/news/cr ... b2370.html
"Preserving and protecting the principles of the Constitution is the primary role of the federal government."
Happy Mom

Re: How safe is the area around Notre Dame?

Postby st michael jr » Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:25 pm

Come on folks! NDPD has only a few officers and I don't think they have any extra to patrol in the city limits of South Bend. Also, there might be something in state law that limits their law enforcement powers off campus. This parents talks about his son losing his youthful innocense. At least his kid is still alive to both LEARN from his naiveté and to hep others learn. Folks, the real world is a cruel place at times. There is NOTHING good that happens after midnight. I don't know why this student was walking and at what time. People must be diligent in their awareness of surroundings. I see these kids walking back and forth at all hours and they have no real clue that evil lurks in the dark.
st michael jr

Postby Happy Mom » Thu Oct 30, 2014 6:34 am

UPDATE: Two shot, one critically injured in SB Ave. shooting

Updated: Wed 11:48 PM, Oct 29, 2014
By: Megan Hickey - Email

More Video...
UPDATE: Two shot, one critically injured in SB Ave. shooting Two people shot in South Bend South Bend Police on the scene of double shooting
A man is in critical condition after being shot in the head on the 1200 block of South Bend Avenue, just south of Eddy Street Commons.

South Bend, Ind. A man is in critical condition after being shot in the head on the 1200 block of South Bend Avenue, just south of Eddy Street Commons.

The call came in to dispatchers at around 5:45 p.m. Police arrived to find a male in his early 20's laying on the ground, suffering from a gunshot wound to the head. He was taken to the hospital and is currently in critical condition.

The shooting happened at South Bend Avenue Apartments and neighbors say they heard multiple shots fired.

Another man was also shot. He was taken to the hospital and is expected to be treated and released.

As emergency vehicles converged on the scene, police blocked off a large stretch of road along South Bend Avenue.

Metro Homicide has taken over the investigation. Police have information on possible suspects, but not enough to release a description at this time.

"We're receiving a lot of information, we have a couple of individuals that we are seeking out," said Commander Tim Corbett of St. Joseph County Metro Homicide. "Obviously they are going to be watching this they know who they are they should turn themselves into South Bend Police Department or should come down to Homicide to speak with us."

Police will be exercising search warrants in the area and expect South Bend Ave. to be blocked off for several hours.

No weapon has been recovered but police are actively searching. Canine units have been out at the scene to search for that weapon.

District 4 South Bend Common Council Member Fred Ferlic spoke out against the recent string of shootings and armed burglaries in the Notre Dame area.

"I have parents calling me, I have students that are leaving school because of the crime," Dr. Ferlic told NewsCenter16. "We have to collaborate to stop the insanity."
:? I have a very hard time believing students are leaving Notre Dame because of the crime in the area....
http://www.wndu.com/home/headlines/Sout ... 44472.html
"Preserving and protecting the principles of the Constitution is the primary role of the federal government."
Happy Mom

Postby bob_rx2000 » Fri Oct 31, 2014 6:40 am

I'll just bet Wayne Curry is smiling a knowing smile about this area now.
Bob_Rx2000
"Because, Gentlemen, I don't trust you..." Gunning Bedford, U.S. Constitutional Convention
"First God created the idiot. That was for practice. Then he created the School Board." Mark Twain
bob_rx2000

Location: South Bend, in a subdivision scheduled for annexation

Postby Happy Mom » Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:02 am

SB Council Member Dr. Ferlic says more must be done to stop crime

Updated: Tue 11:49 PM, Nov 11, 2014
By: NewsCenter 16 Staff Email

Some South Bend leaders are speaking out about the crime that has been happening around South Bend.
SOUTH BEND, Ind.--- A South Bend leader is speaking out about the crime that has been happening around South Bend.

Bullets were fired into an off-campus home about ten days ago, barely missing two students.

Fourth District Council Member Dr. Fred Ferlic said on Tuesday that city government needs to act quicker on a program that will reduce violence.

"South Bend can be a safe, growing city again, but this problem needs to be addressed," said Dr. Ferlic.

He says South Bend has two to three times the rate of wounds from guns and knives than other cities its size, like Kalamazoo and Fort Wayne.

"I'm calling upon the mayor to be more aggressive and move faster, in the winter time crime will be down but the summer and spring will be around sooner than you think," said Dr. Ferlic.

South Bend Mayor Pete Buttigieg says more things can always be done, but reports show the crime rate is down.

“We can’t take our eye off the ball,” said Buttigieg. “We can always do more, and I will always be looking for partners around the community, including the universities, but not only the universities to help us get it done.”

Dr. Ferlic says he supports mayor Buttigieg, and believes he has the power to accomplish more of a reduction in crime, but he says the community also needs to act.

http://www.wndu.com/home/headlines/SB-C ... 54721.html
Happy Mom

Return to Crime