backstageadd ND

American Idol

Re: American Idol

Postby fairystarz » Thu May 21, 2009 12:59 am

Big Kahuna wrote:
fairystarz wrote:Damn BK...
You are really infatuated with Adam aren't you?

Actually I'm more infatuated with Norman Gentle.
Headbands... iridescent polyester shirts...and dirty tennis shoes....Now that's HAWT!!

Well you must have been having an orgasm tonight with him winning that award and performing and all?
fairystarz

Postby Happy Mom » Wed Jun 10, 2009 7:12 am

Oh..... Duh! Is there anyone anywhere that did not already know this?

"Idol" runner-up Adam Lambert says he's gay
Reuters
By Alex Dobuzinskis Alex Dobuzinskis – Tue Jun 9, 11:37 pm ET

LOS ANGELES (Reuters Life!) – "American Idol" runner-up Adam Lambert has told Rolling Stone magazine he is gay, answering a question that followed the singer for months since he gained millions of fans on the No. 1 U.S. TV talent show.

"I don't think it should be a surprise for anyone to hear that I'm gay," Lambert told the music magazine in excerpts from an interview released Tuesday as it was announced that he had secured a record contract with his debut album due out in fall.

"I'm proud of my sexuality," he said. "I embrace it. It's just another part of me."

The issue with Lambert on the cover hits newsstands this Friday, with the full interview inside.

During his "American Idol" run Lambert was known for his falsetto singing, outlandish costumes, eyeliner and fingernail polish. He was nicknamed "Glambert" and Entertainment Weekly magazine called him "the most exciting 'American Idol' contestant in years."

When he lost in May's finale to the more buttoned-down Kris Allen, some fan websites and the media buzzed with speculation that being gay cost him votes from viewers who pick a winner.

Lambert, who was widely considered the front-runner going into the finale, had never publicly said he was gay. In March, when photos appeared on the Internet of him kissing another man and dressed in drag, he said only: "I have nothing to hide. I am who I am."

His sexuality became an issue widely covered in the media because "Idol," seen by an average of about 26 million viewers a week in 2009, had never crowned an openly gay winner.

The runner-up in 2003, Clay Aiken, hid his sexuality for years after his run on the show, coming out as gay in 2008.

The Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation, a group that advocates for homosexual rights, said it hopes Lambert's "decision to live openly and honestly inspires gay people and opens the hearts and minds of his fans."
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20090610/peo ... _lambert_6
"Preserving and protecting the principles of the Constitution is the primary role of the federal government."
Happy Mom

Postby York » Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:43 am

SIMON OFFERED $144 MIL A YEAR TO STAY ON 'IDOL'

ENORMOUS MONEY
By MAXINE SHEN

June 30, 2009 --

EARLY salary figures from Simon Cowell's "American Idol" contract negotiations are leaking out and they're eye-popping.

Cowell, who reportedly made $36 million last year for judging the hit competition show, has been offered three or four times that amount -- between $100 million and $144 million per year -- by co-producers Fox and 19 Entertainment to stick with "Idol" when his contract expires next May, according to The Guardian, a London newpaper.

Fox declined yesterday to comment about the salary negotiations.

While $36 million may seem like a lot of money for five months worth of snarky comments and eye-rolls, it's only a fraction of the estimated $900 million that "Idol" rakes in a year. As the lynchpin of the show -- without him there would be no one to hate and no dramatic tension with Paula Abdul -- Cowell believes he's due for a raise.

To get more of the pie, he's been leaning on long-time friend and UK retail multibillionaire Sir Philip Green -- who owns hot fashion franchise Top Shop -- for help negotiating the terms of what would be a new "Idol" contract, reports say. Green is said to be lobbying hard for an increase in Cowell's appearance fee on the show.

Sources close to the two friends say that this is just the first step to the creation of an international TV production, talent management and merchandising company, which would put Cowell in a position to actually make money off his ideas and the talent he discovers, not just reap a salary for having his mug on screen.

"This is about properly owning himself, Brand Cowell, everything he does, new formats and new programs, not just the ones starring him," a source close to Green told The Guardian.

Entertainment wiz Cowell, who signed international "popera" act Il Divo, is likely to run the creative end while Green, Britain's ninth wealthiest person, will focus on financial issues.

"Idol" is only one of Cowell's TV contracts which are on the verge of expiring. His three-year deal, which spawned hits "Britain's Got Talent" and "The X-Factor," with UK's ITV, ends this year.

http://www.nypost.com/seven/06302009/tv ... 176757.htm

:shock:
York

Postby Happy Mom » Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:51 am

Simon makes the show and is worth that much...
"Preserving and protecting the principles of the Constitution is the primary role of the federal government."
Happy Mom

Postby York » Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:59 am

Happy Mom wrote:Simon makes the show and is worth that much...

I agree. It's all about Simon.
York

Postby Wilson » Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:09 am

Though when I watch, I grow tired of him at times, the others don't do a thing for the show dawgs.
Wilson

Postby York » Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:17 am

Straight up: Paula Abdul exits 'American Idol'

So, is it really true that Paula Abdul is leaving "American Idol"?

It looks that way; the shocking news emerged late Tuesday. Despite Abdul's own Twitter kiss-off and a statement from "Idol" about her departure, like many of Abdul's rambling evaluations, it all feels a bit surreal and nutty.

Here's the full statement from the "Idol" PR team: "Paula Abdul has been an important part of the 'American Idol' family over the last eight seasons and we are saddened that she has decided not to return to the show. While Paula will not be continuing with us, she's a tremendous talent and we wish her the best."

For her part, Abdul said she'll miss the fans and, as she said on Twitter, "nurturing all the new talent, but most of all being a part of a show that I helped from day 1 become an international phenomenon."

It's hard to imagine the show without Abdul. I'm of two minds about her departure, but overall, I don't think I'll miss her. She brought good things and bad things to the show, but overall, I was fairly tired of her schtick. I can't say, on balance, that I'm sad that she's going.

What Abdul brought to the show: The "wild card" element. You never knew what she was going to do. Was she going to fight with SImon? Was she going to say something so incomprehensible that it seemed almost profound? Was she going to shock us all by saying something pithy and insightful? You just never knew what she was bringing to the party.

What Abdul did not bring to the show: Pith and insight, for the most part. It's true that all of the judges have their own particular catchphrases and cliches that they endlessly trot out, but Abdul's were more tiresome than most. Every singer was "great," "beautiful," "amazing," "incredible" and well-dressed. Her role as the cheerleader was so predictable that I simply could not take it many times, and I often fast-forwarded through her rambling, generic positivity.

So it would be hypocritical for me to bemoan the loss of a judge that I often ignored and rolled my eyes at. The only judge I really care about, if I'm being honest (to quote one of his favorite phrases), is Simon Cowell. He may have a truly inexplicable haircut and a predictable devotion to what passes for music-industry conventional wisdom, but you can't fast-forward through Simon Cowell. I simply have to know what he thinks.

All things considered, I don't necessarily think that Kara DioGuardio is a great replacement for Abdul. She tended to offer the kind of predictable evaluations that Randy Jackson and Simon Cowell often trot out. With Paula gone, what we're left with is three judges who share a similar worldview and all seem to have a reasonable grasp of the English language, more or less. No more "wild card" craziness. So, if I'm being honest, that's a bit of a bummer. (As E!Online said, without Paula, "how are any of the contestants going to know where their magic is?")

Still, at least, this way, as Alan Sepinwall points out, there won't be as many tiresome time overruns as there were last season when there were four judges, a situation that just did not work.

What do you think?

http://featuresblogs.chicagotribune.com ... -idol.html

I hope she's really gone and that this isn't a PR stunt, which Idol is so famous for. She added nothing except an occasional prescription pain killer-induced sparring match with Simon.
York

Postby Happy Mom » Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:55 am

She is a nutcase and I like Kara better! :clap: :clap:
Happy Mom

Postby TheSeeker » Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:01 am

I agree.

Although, I will miss seeing her drugged out theatrics.
"Reagan proved that deficits don’t matter." ~ Dick Cheney
TheSeeker

Previous

Return to Books, Movies, TV